There once was a time when having a cable subscription was the only way that you could keep up with all the latest television shows, watch live sporting events, and access movies not yet released on DVD. With all the streaming services now available, you no longer need a cable subscription to access this content and so much more.
Pew Research reported that 56 percent of Americans used cable or satellite in 2021, down from 76 percent in 2015, with over 70% of people now using at least one streaming service. eMarketer has predicted that the cord-cutting population will reach 55.1 million people in the US in 2022. Comcast alone lost 1.5 million cable subscribers last year.
The main reasons people are cutting the cord include:
- Cable prices have increased so much due to costly content that it’s just too expensive.
- Lack of a la carte options from cable providers.
- Streaming gives you more choice and freedom.
- Content created by streaming services is better.
- You usually don’t have to watch advertisements when you stream.
- You can watch from anywhere.
With so many more streaming options available, it can be difficult to decide which services are right for you. Since none of them require contracts, you can try different services and add or drop them at any time, though you may need a spreadsheet to find the shows you want to watch.
According to TechJury.net, the top 5 best video streaming services in 2022 include:
- Netflix is the best service overall and is the most popular online video streaming option, standard service with ads for $6.99 a month as well as a basic plan that is $9.99 a month. It is easy to use, with a seamless navigation menu and an interface consistent with all compatible devices.
- Hulu lets you watch TV shows as they air and download and record up to 50 hours of live content on a cloud DVR. They offer an ad-supported plan for $7.99 a month or a no-ad version for $14.99 a month. Hulu also has a Live TV option for $69.99 a month that gives full access to the Hulu library, live sports, broadcast stations, and many of the channels you currently enjoy.
- Amazon Prime allows you to watch the latest movies and TV shows on-demand for free with your Amazon Prime subscription. Amazon Prime is the second most popular video streaming platform for original content. Pricing options include $14.99 a month or $139 per year. Amazon also offers Amazon Video without prime for $8.99 a month.
- HBO offers the best premium quality TV, with the most extensive library of original, high-quality content, over 500 new releases and old classic movies, numerous original shows, kids shows, documentaries, sports, and comedy specials. HBO is a standalone service, priced at $15.99 a month.
- YouTube TV has the best channel line-up with 85+ channels, local and regional programs with complete local network coverage, streaming live and local sports, news and shows, on-demand video, and cloud DVR. There is no contract or cable box required. YouTube TV costs $72.99 a month.
- Disney Plus is now the 5th biggest streaming service, it starts at $7.99 a month and includes bundles that include Hulu and ESPN+ that starts at $12.99 a month.
While there are no monthly equipment fees, you may need to purchase a streaming media player such as a Roku device, Amazon Fire TV, Google Chromecast, a smart TV, game console, or Apple TV.
For the best streaming experience, you will need at least 100 Mbps Internet service, depending on the number of people in your household sharing the bandwidth, and a Wi-Fi service plan so your streaming devices can get online from any place in the house. In general, if you have a household of four, using a lot of 4K videos and online gaming simultaneously, you need at least 500 Mbps to effectively do all at the same time.
Smart City Telecom delivers a 1 Gbps symmetrical fiber-to-the-home Internet connection and Home Wi-Fi to get the best streaming experience in Celebration. Visit https://fibersignup.smartcitytelecom.com/ to sign up today.